I know things have been quiet here on the blog the last 2-3 months, and that was mostly due to the new job I started in January. While things started well there, they went downhill rather quickly in April, and I turned in my resignation two weeks ago. I start a new job (as a Senior Mobile Developer) July 7, and the new company should have a much better work/life balance. So I'm looking forward to a fresh start..this new role is the EXACT type of role I'v been looking for the past 18 months...I'm pretty excited about it.
With things getting calm again, I hope to post here more frequently, too. For those of you who still stop by here...thanks, and its good to see you again
Earlier this month I mentioned that I had spent about 3 hours browsing Amazon to build a list of 2014 Fantasy releases that I would like to read. I also mentioned that I would get that added to the site. I took some time recently to add that list to the blog. You can find the list at the top of the blog (2014 Fantasy "Want To Read" List), or just click here.
As you can tell from browsing the list, I read primarily high/epic fantasy. There is no way I will get to every book in that list, but I'll get to as many as I can (especially those that are specially marked). I'll have to catch up on many of the series, which means I'll have to read quite a few books that are not on that list (like the first 4 books in Moon's series, and the first 3 in Abraham's series, etc).
As I read books from that last, I'll try to update the list to include links to reviews of the books I've read.
Are there any books in the list that you are highly anticipating? Any epic/heroic fantasy titles coming out this year that fit in with my list, but that you don't see (i.e. that I need to add to me list)?
Now that this blog is 6 1/2 years old (crazy!), I thought it was time to come up with a reading plan. Over the years, I've watched other bloggers recap their previous year in reading, and lay out plans for the next year. I've never taken the time to do either of those, but thought I would give it a shot this year. Well, I've come up with a 2014 reading & blog plan...not sure I will bother to recap 2013 (haven't decided yet).
Like all of my plans, this could easily fly out the window tomorrow, but as of now, here is what I plan to read in 2014, along with a few plans for the blog:
- Read More Fantasy: Over the last 2 years, I've read even amounts of espionage/thrillers and fantasy. Over the last few months, I've been less interested in reading espionage and am feeling a return to reading mostly fantasy.
- Read Ongoing Fantasy series: Even when I have read fantasy the last couple of years, it has primarily (like 80-90%) been completed series. At least for the first 3 months, I'm going to drop that requirement and resume reading new and ongoing series. I feel like I have missed out on fun discussions since I've been reading something different from everyone else. So I plan to read new books as they are published, as well as catching up on series I haven't read the last 2 years.
- The 10% Test: Each book I pick up to read, I will read the first 10% (that is easier than the 100 page rule I used to have). Once I hit the 10% read mark, I'll decide to a) continue reading, b) put it down for now with a possible return later c) put it down for good and sell the book at my used book store
- I might throw up some brief reviews of the technical books I read. Not sure yet. This also relates to the next item:
- I still plan to post about Kindle book deals when I find them. New Fantasy Releases posts will continue, as well.
- I would like to post more often about e-book reading...like reviews of reading apps on iOS and Android, what you can do with a jailbroken Kindle Paperwhite 2, stuff like that.
I guess that's it...my first "Reading Plan" post in a LONG time. Last night I spent almost 3 hours going through the list of 2014 fantasy releases on Amazon...creating a list of books I want to read (now that I plan to read new releases again). I'll likely post that list of books sometime in the next week. Most of the books are being published January through August, since the details on books beyond August were a little sketchy.
I haven't figured out an easy way to add a poll to this blog yet, so I thought I would conduct an old-fashioned poll....i.e. you just leave your answer in the comments. I'm just curious about what you guys/gals read. I'm wondering if most of you stick to fantasy, or if (due to the book deals posts), the readership of this blog is more varied.
So, what genres do you read? Fantasy? Sci-Fi? Mystery? Thriller? Something else?
If you have 30 seconds, leave a comment to let me know which genres you read. Of course, if you read in more than one genre, list all of them.
You've heard me say (and explain why) I mostly read completed series nowadays. I thought I should ask you guys/gals the opposite question.
Why do you prefer to read incomplete (i.e. ongoing, not finished, etc) series when there are so many completed series out there?
-Do you like reading new books as they are published, so you can talk about them with others on forums, blogs, etc?
-Do you find it hard to read 3-10 books in a row in the same series?
-You just prefer reading books as they are published so you can have the excitement of looking forward to the next book in the series?
-Some other reason(s)?
What say you? Maybe you'll convince me to jump to your side (once again)